Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
We all have the right to breathe clean air and at Umicore we are a world leader in the production of emission control catalysts. Our technologies enable on-road and non-road applications, as well as power generation and process industry to meet environmental standards around the world. Our products have prevented billions of tons of harmful gases and particles being released into the atmosphere. To enable our customers to produce even cleaner engines and further reduce industrial emissions, we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
- You manage the daily operations in your lab. You make sure that the laboratory provides analysis results of process and product control parameters, within budget and time limits.
- You ensure the laboratory is compliant in terms of safety, quality with the group’s regulations.
- You define and manage the internal and external analysis flows, provide and schedule necessary resources.
- You provide necessary training and development opportunities for your team, consisting of 8 technicians, to reach optimal versatility and flexibility.
- You are in charge of procurement and manage the investment portfolio with the goal to install and maintain state of the art equipment.
- In compliance with ISO/ TS 16949 and customer quality standards or requirements, you define the analytical methods to be implemented on site in order to comply with the process control plan and the product and raw material sampling plans, in accordance with the group recommendations.
- You define a process for calibrating and maintaining equipment.
- You validate the analytical results before they are distributed to the organisation. In the event of discrepancies or anomalies, you propose corrective actions and inform the organisation of the risks involved.
- You have a master or PhD in Chemistry and relevant experience in an industrial environment.
- You have a good knowledge of analytical methods of mineral chemistry (XRF, ICP, etc.) and analytical techniques of exhaust gas reduction (synthetic gas bench test, ...)
- Solid analytical thinking with a clear understanding of the impact and consequences of laboratory results on the quality and economic performance of the site, is required.
- You have a good knowledge in statistics, and are able to detect and highlight statistical trends in laboratory results.
- You are fluent in French and English, knowledge of German is an asset.
- You are familiar with quality systems: ISO / TS 16949, ISO 14001, OSHAS 18001.
- You are an engaged leader, guiding your team to excellent results and customer satisfaction.
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too.
That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds.
As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?